Sign up  |   |   |  Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
81Dawg

Avatar / Picture

General
Registered:
Posts: 4,776
Reply with quote  #1 
Someone explain to me how this 6'7" 210 lb Sophomore, whose father, Tom Slawson, played for The Citadel (1976-1979), ends up at Furman and not us?!?!?!?!?!
__________________
LTC (Ret.)
0
Air32Ball

Corporal
Registered:
Posts: 60
Reply with quote  #2 
Have to ask him and his Dad is my guess. Averaged 0.7ppg his Freshman Year, looks like he's averaging 6.1ppg this year. Was All-State and All Region in football in HS too.
0
Cid68

Colonel
Registered:
Posts: 884
Reply with quote  #3 
Even if your father went to The Citadel not every young person wants to got to The Citadel.  We lose lots of recruits in all sports that are not willing to become a cadet.
0
Cane_Corso

WATERBOY
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid68
Even if your father went to The Citadel not every young person wants to got to The Citadel.  We lose lots of recruits in all sports that are not willing to become a cadet.


Exactly.  The Citadel isn't for everybody.  Kid had multiple other Division 1 offers also, I believe.  It's easy for us to have blinders on about who we are and who we *think* we should be in the eyes of recruits, but the fact is that we are a last resort for Division 1 talent.

How many kids, in general, do we lose every year in the Corps who quit because they can't last 8 days without a cell phone?  That's the world we live in.
0
Air32Ball

Corporal
Registered:
Posts: 60
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid68
Even if your father went to The Citadel not every young person wants to got to The Citadel.  We lose lots of recruits in all sports that are not willing to become a cadet.

Exactly!!
0
Air32Ball

Corporal
Registered:
Posts: 60
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane_Corso


Exactly.  The Citadel isn't for everybody.  Kid had multiple other Division 1 offers also, I believe.  It's easy for us to have blinders on about who we are and who we *think* we should be in the eyes of recruits, but the fact is that we are a last resort for Division 1 talent.

How many kids, in general, do we lose every year in the Corps who quit because they can't last 8 days without a cell phone?  That's the world we live in.




Right on point
0
81Dawg

Avatar / Picture

General
Registered:
Posts: 4,776
Reply with quote  #7 
Ok, I got all that.  Was he even on Baucom's radar and did Baucom make any attempt to reach out to Tom Slawson and recruit his son?
__________________
LTC (Ret.)
0
Cane_Corso

WATERBOY
Registered:
Posts: 36
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Dawg
Ok, I got all that.  Was he even on Baucom's radar and did Baucom make any attempt to reach out to Tom Slawson and recruit his son?


Kid was at Elite Camp in August of '15, so he was definitely on Baucom's radar early.   
0
dogfan1987

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 5,290
Reply with quote  #9 
Or would you rather have Garrett Shrader as the trigger man on the football field, son of Tracy Schrader.


0
Deeltahaughtwon

Avatar / Picture

Colonel
Registered:
Posts: 650
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfan1987
Or would you rather have Garrett Shrader as the trigger man on the football field, son of Tracy Schrader.

if he doesn't see success at MSU, go after him as a 5th year...  could be an option if he wants to somewhat walk in his pops shoes.  not the real thing, but we may benefit.  And heck Charleston is MUCH better than STARKSVILLE!


0
dogfan1987

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 5,290
Reply with quote  #11 
He is probably transferring this year after he got beat up in the locker room by a teammate. It has kind of been swept under the rug and not made the national news but has been well covered locally. 

 
0
Biffbomb

All Socon Poster
Registered:
Posts: 2,385
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfan1987
He is probably transferring this year after he got beat up in the locker room by a teammate. It has kind of been swept under the rug and not made the national news but has been well covered locally. 

 


Who knows ... Miss. St. fired their head coach and the player he got in the altercation with is off to the NFL.  Unless the fight was bigger than between the two players ... Shrader appears to have been done wrong though.
0
81Dawg

Avatar / Picture

General
Registered:
Posts: 4,776
Reply with quote  #13 
Dogfan1987, you hijacked my thread!!  Yes, I understand that just because someone's Dad play for us does not necessarily mean the son wants to go to The Citadel.  But, we should at least try.

And to address the 2 individuals we are talking about:

1. As a QB, Garrett Shrader does not fit our offense, so I could see BT not even trying to recruit him, unless he would have/is looking to play him at another position.

2.  Jalen Slawson is exactly the type of player DB needs on this team, so I still just wonder if he even reached out to his Dad to recruit him.

__________________
LTC (Ret.)
0
dogfan1987

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 5,290
Reply with quote  #14 
I doubt we even reached out to Jalen based on the offense we run but he is an athlete. Furman was playing 4 out and 1 in with Rafferty but this year they seem to play 3 out and 2 in and leave Mounce on the wing. Mounce, Slawson and the other skinny "big" all have the same body type and can jump out of the gym. 
0
flyingtiger

Second teamer
Registered:
Posts: 82
Reply with quote  #15 
We have lost out on bigger alumni child prospects; Rick Wieters son Matt was a star at Stratford in Goose Creek and All American at Georgia Tech, now with the Cardinals and previously with Orioles and Nationals.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.