photo wrinkle.jpg
The Citadel Independent Sports Network
Sign up  |   |   |  Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
fblott1952

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 157
Reply with quote  #1 
Mike is headed to East Carolina as their new coach.  They will be a AAC force to contend with in about 3 years challenging UCF, Houston, Navy, Temple, Memphis, and the rest of the conference, then hopefully on to a power 5 school.

Wish he and his family nothing but the best at ECU.  Great guy and fabulous coach.
0
81Dawg

Avatar / Picture

General
Registered:
Posts: 4,300
Reply with quote  #2 
Wonder how much ECU is paying to pry Houston from JMU. 

So much things like "loyalty" when JMU announced on 12 Dec 2017 that "Mike Houston will remain as head coach of JMU's football team for another 10 years, thanks to a contract extension announced by James Madison Director of Athletics Jeff Bourne ....".

"James Madison is a special place. Amanda, our boys and I want to be here and consider this home," Houston said.

"I've turned down opportunities at the FBS level, and I did it because I believe in James Madison University. I believe in the leadership of Jeff Bourne, Senior Vice President Charlie King and President Jonathan Alger. I believe in their vision for our university and our athletics programs. I also believe in our student-athletes, everyone in athletics who supports us and the passionate fan base that cheers for us. I am committed to ensuring that the JMU football program is one that is a reflection of our outstanding institution. I'm committed to staying here because JMU is different."

"Mike Houston has proven to be the perfect fit as football coach at James Madison University, and we are thrilled that the Houston family has found JMU to be its perfect home," Bourne said.




https://www.whsv.com/content/sports/Mike-Houston-signs-contract-for-10-more-years-as-JMU-Football-Head-Coach-463715913.html

https://jmusports.com/news/2017/12/12/mike-houston-signs-10-year-extension-as-head-coach-of-james-madison-football.aspx?path=football

__________________
LTC (Ret.)
0
CID1990

Avatar / Picture

General
Registered:
Posts: 3,870
Reply with quote  #3 
He definitely has an opportunistic streak doesn't he?

This is just a gut feeling, but I think the job he really wants is in Chapel Hill. Mack Brown taking the job means that it will likely be open again in 5-6 years.

Houston romanced Charlotte before going over to ECU. He obviously wants to be in or near NC, and this move from JMU while playing footsie with two different NC FBS programs feels like it had a sense of urgency to it. As if something was telling him now is the time to make the jump. I think Mack Brown's return to Carolina could have something to do with it.

The only pitfall I see with ECU over Charlotte is that if UNC and NCSU fans agree on anything, it is that ECU is lower tier, and ECU fans hate UNC and State with a passion. I was there in Carter Finley in 87 when ECU fans tore down the goalposts after ECU beat the Wolfpack. They still talk about that in Raleigh. They are the CSU to UNC/NCSU's The Citadel.

If ECU starts beating up on the Tarheels and the Pack with Houston at the helm, there wont be a lot of love for him in those programs. Think of what our reaction would have been two years ago if Thompson left and the school considered hiring Chadwell. That is how an ambitious, winning football coach in Greenville is going to be viewed by the Piedmont ACC schools.

I wish the best for the guy but I persinally think he should have taken the Charlotte job. There's no history there with the other schools, and producing a winner there would be more impressive than at ECU.

__________________
0
dogfan1987

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 4,914
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CID1990


The only pitfall I see with ECU over Charlotte is that if UNC and NCSU fans agree on anything, it is that ECU is lower tier, and ECU fans hate UNC and State with a passion. I was there in Carter Finley in 87 when ECU fans tore down the goalposts after ECU beat the Wolfpack. They still talk about that in Raleigh. They are the CSU to UNC/NCSU's The Citadel.

If ECU starts beating up on the Tarheels and the Pack with Houston at the helm, there wont be a lot of love for him in those programs. Think of what our reaction would have been two years ago if Thompson left and the school considered hiring Chadwell. That is how an ambitious, winning football coach in Greenville is going to be viewed by the Piedmont ACC schools.

I wish the best for the guy but I persinally think he should have taken the Charlotte job. There's no history there with the other schools, and producing a winner there would be more impressive than at ECU.


Interesting perspective
0
BBall101

Second teamer
Registered:
Posts: 85
Reply with quote  #5 
Tis the reason players should have the same transfer ability. I love it when coaches complain about a players ability to transfer and better their situation, academics, playing time, location or whatever and then a coach as honorable as Higgins can simply say one thing and do another. No complaints at all about his career choice, simply voicing, particularly to players getting recruited, please take pledges of loyalty and belief in a program from any coach with a very thin veil of truth and make the decision based on YOUR choice as this is exactly what could happen when you make choices for the wrong reasons.

The whole " I am committed to the institution" last until the right contract comes along or the institution moves in a different direction. it is a business.
0
Biffbomb

Avatar / Picture

All Socon Poster
Registered:
Posts: 2,326
Reply with quote  #6 
Except Chadwell won without class and cheated. Had Chadwell done it the right way, I would have welcomed the hire.
0
blueboat46

Corporal
Registered:
Posts: 58
Reply with quote  #7 
Has anyone gone upward from East Carolina? Seems like a lot of coaches have piled up there. It is lower tier and after all the others load up, there is not a lot left in N.C. Must be something we do not know about. 
0
Game

Avatar / Picture

All Socon Poster
Registered:
Posts: 1,305
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboat46
Has anyone gone upward from East Carolina? Seems like a lot of coaches have piled up there. It is lower tier and after all the others load up, there is not a lot left in N.C. Must be something we do not know about. 
\

Very true. ecu is a head coaching graveyard. 
Only thing going for ecu is, east of Raleigh, there is nothing but ecu. Greenville, NC is turrrrible.

Better job for Houston was in Charlotte with its tremendous upside and exposure. Big city/market, big time local recruiting ground, NFL team in town, program and school are growing and have money, closer to extended Houston family, a great city in which to live, 

I think he couldn't get it out of his head that uncc seemed too much like an FCS program

Side note: Houston is a mountain guy, and he will not last long in the Coastal Plain of NC.

__________________
We don't hurt people, but sometimes people get hurt.
0
TrueBlue88

Avatar / Picture

General
Registered:
Posts: 3,925
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueboat46
Has anyone gone upward from East Carolina? Seems like a lot of coaches have piled up there. It is lower tier and after all the others load up, there is not a lot left in N.C. Must be something we do not know about. 


Or...

Has anyone gone upward from The Citadel? Seems like a lot of coaches have piled up there. It is lower tier and after all the others load up, there is not a lot left in S.C. Must be something we do not know about.

__________________
Purple Makes Me Puke!
0
81Dawg

Avatar / Picture

General
Registered:
Posts: 4,300
Reply with quote  #10 
Why MH left JMU:

https://247sports.com/college/east-carolina/Article/Mike-Houston-ECU-head-coach-explains-why-he-left-James-Madison-125825125/

Details of MH's contract w/ ECU:

https://247sports.com/college/east-carolina/LongFormArticle/Diving-into-the-contract-of-new-ECU-coach-Mike-Houston-125815278

ECU is paying JMU $500,000 to buy out Houston's contract.  That's not much to pry away a coach who has 8 years remaining on a 10 year deal.



__________________
LTC (Ret.)
0
CID1990

Avatar / Picture

General
Registered:
Posts: 3,870
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Game
\

Very true. ecu is a head coaching graveyard. 
Only thing going for ecu is, east of Raleigh, there is nothing but ecu. Greenville, NC is turrrrible.

Better job for Houston was in Charlotte with its tremendous upside and exposure. Big city/market, big time local recruiting ground, NFL team in town, program and school are growing and have money, closer to extended Houston family, a great city in which to live, 

I think he couldn't get it out of his head that uncc seemed too much like an FCS program

Side note: Houston is a mountain guy, and he will not last long in the Coastal Plain of NC.


I'm with you on thinking Charlotte would have been a better move, but for different reasons. 

ECU is something of a dead end, but Houston might be a special case. He has had a meteoric rise - from D2 to FCS to FBS in a very short period. And he has had proven success at all those levels with only one question mark.... he has done it with other people's recruits (but it can be argued that he got more out of those recruits than the coaches who recruited them could have). I can't recall when ECU has been coached by a young up-and-comer like him.

Greenville is an armpit but the area around it is wonderful - in fact if I had anything to do with ECU I would live in New Bern or the surrounding area and eat softshell sandwiches and be perfectly happy. I'm biased since my mother's family are all High Tiders from out east of there, though.

But if Houston builds a winner in Greenville they will hate his guts with a burning white passion in Chapel Hill. If that's where he wants to go I think the easier path would be through Charlotte. He's a NC guy so he has to know that but maybe he feels differently about it.

It was interesting though - his comment in the article above about being close to Charleston... hell, he could have stayed IN Charleston if it means that much to him.

__________________
0
ELCID96

Colonel
Registered:
Posts: 582
Reply with quote  #12 
Its pretty obvious why he took the job -- His salary goes from 500k to 1.3M.  
__________________
Cid96
0
dogfan1987

Avatar / Picture

Moderator
Registered:
Posts: 4,914
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCID96
Its pretty obvious why he took the job -- His salary goes from 500k to 1.3M.  



Winner, Winner
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.