photo wrinkle.jpg
The Citadel Independent Sports Network
Sign up  |   |   |  Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
dawgmeat

Colonel
Registered:
Posts: 744
Reply with quote  #1 
Citadel narrows AD search to 12 semifinalists ... 

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/the-citadel-narrows-field-of-athletic-director-candidates-to/article_4da32cce-95d0-11e8-b8ee-e7811bdbe45b.html
0
fblott1952

Starter
Registered:
Posts: 157
Reply with quote  #2 
Bill D'Andrea better be in that 12.  We don't need some dude from 8 states away whose wife hates Charleston.  Been down that road.
0
TrueBlue88

Avatar / Picture

General
Registered:
Posts: 3,925
Reply with quote  #3 
Ed Conroy wants the job. Hire him. That will be all.
__________________
Purple Makes Me Puke!
0
Cid68

Colonel
Registered:
Posts: 810
Reply with quote  #4 
Ed is a great guy and a wonderful coach and knows The Citadel well.  However, i don't think we should hire someone with no athletic director experience to be our new athletic director.  With a brand new president who is new to this world he could use the advise in this area from someone who is experience and can fall back on that experience.

0
TrueBlue88

Avatar / Picture

General
Registered:
Posts: 3,925
Reply with quote  #5 
Bill D’Andrea is in his late 60’s I believe. Seems we need a more long term commitment.
While Ed may not have AD experience, he has everything else we would desire. He can learn the role easier/quicker than others can learn The Citadel in my opinion.

__________________
Purple Makes Me Puke!
0
81Dawg

Avatar / Picture

General
Registered:
Posts: 4,298
Reply with quote  #6 
Since Rob Acunto left & went to UTEP w/ Senter, Ed would be better off as Associate AD to get the experience.  As of now, he has "0" experience as an AD.  Big difference between being a HC & running 1 sport to being an AD and running an entire athletic department with multiple programs.
__________________
LTC (Ret.)
0
walkon

Colonel
Registered:
Posts: 592
Reply with quote  #7 
Is Conroy even in the mix? Would not he have to take a hefty pay cut?
0
SandlapperSpike

Avatar / Picture

General
Registered:
Posts: 2,748
Reply with quote  #8 
Conroy made a base salary of $200,000 during the 2016-17 school year at Minnesota (with a bonus package that could increase that number by $56,000).

Jim Senter was making $201,337 per annum at The Citadel before taking the AD job at UTEP.





__________________
https://thesportsarsenal.com/2018/11/28/2018-football-game-11-the-citadel-vs-charleston-southern/
0
SandlapperSpike

Avatar / Picture

General
Registered:
Posts: 2,748
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue88
Bill D’Andrea is in his late 60’s I believe. Seems we need a more long term commitment.


I think D'Andrea is around 67 years old, give or take a year. He graduated from Indiana State in 1973.



__________________
https://thesportsarsenal.com/2018/11/28/2018-football-game-11-the-citadel-vs-charleston-southern/
0
TrueBlue88

Avatar / Picture

General
Registered:
Posts: 3,925
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Dawg
Since Rob Acunto left & went to UTEP w/ Senter, Ed would be better off as Associate AD to get the experience.  As of now, he has "0" experience as an AD.  Big difference between being a HC & running 1 sport to being an AD and running an entire athletic department with multiple programs.


Likely a valid point. However, Leckonby had all the experience on paper but didn't seem to understand our school and culture (and from my view didn't try to learn it). Senter jumped into the culture and did a nice job in my opinion. I believe Ed can grow into the role more quickly than the next Leckonby or Senter can either a) learn the culture or b) move on for more money. Personally, I'd take the chance. I'm admittedly biased since I know Ed.

__________________
Purple Makes Me Puke!
0
81Dawg

Avatar / Picture

General
Registered:
Posts: 4,298
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue88


Likely a valid point. However, Leckonby had all the experience on paper but didn't seem to understand our school and culture (and from my view didn't try to learn it). Senter jumped into the culture and did a nice job in my opinion. I believe Ed can grow into the role more quickly than the next Leckonby or Senter can either a) learn the culture or b) move on for more money. Personally, I'd take the chance. I'm admittedly biased since I know Ed.


Leckonby was brought in because he was a bean counter, and after Robinson, the finances were a mess.  Lots of red.  Leckonby's job was to get spending under control, and increase revenue.  He did that.  Not much else, but the deals w/ Daktronics, Adidas, Coke, etc. brought in much needed revenue to the athletic dept.

__________________
LTC (Ret.)
0
CID1990

Avatar / Picture

General
Registered:
Posts: 3,869
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Dawg


Leckonby was brought in because he was a bean counter, and after Robinson, the finances were a mess.  Lots of red.  Leckonby's job was to get spending under control, and increase revenue.  He did that.  Not much else, but the deals w/ Daktronics, Adidas, Coke, etc. brought in much needed revenue to the athletic dept.


This right here^^^^

Coaches need to know how to coach.

ADs need to know how to do the money-

that's priority #1, 2 and 3. This is doubly important at a school like The Citadel where we are pretty much paycheck to paycheck.

Ed checks a lot of boxes - he's a grad, would probably stick around, he's coached at the school.. but those things are almost completely immaterial to the AD job, with the exception of loyalty and the dedication that would likely come from that.

I'd agree that he could make a good deputy AD to learn the ropes but for the top job we need to be looking for a bean counter again.

__________________
0
Citadel4Lyfe

Corporal
Registered:
Posts: 54
Reply with quote  #13 
Is the rumor mill true that this guy Capaccio is trying to convince them to let him have the job? The same guy who was fired at UNC-W in less than two years? Maybe Senter can take him too. 
0
walkon

Colonel
Registered:
Posts: 592
Reply with quote  #14 
The guy has almost doubled the Brig Club endowment. I hope he gets the moon.
0
walkon

Colonel
Registered:
Posts: 592
Reply with quote  #15 
Met to say "job". That is what happens when Mr. Daniels takes control.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.